Welcome to Rewards Canada'a COVID-19 Resource Page with tips, news and links to the latest updates from airline, hotels, loyalty programs and more.
If you have flights or other travel booked that you want to change or cancel we recommend waiting until 72 hours prior to travel to do so as all the providers phone lines are inundated with calls. Also, if you wait it is entirely possible the airline or hotel may cancel your travel at which point you could be entitled to a complete refund of all monies paid however as airlines are bleeding through their cash reserves they will most likely only offer credits. Most airlines have extended that credit period to 24 months.
If you need to book a hotel stay for essential travel, be safe and book a refundable rate with that hotel chain. Typically these are the best flexible rate, best flexible member rate or AAA/CAA rates. These will allow you to cancel anywhere from day of to three days before your stay depending on the hotel chain. Be sure you read the room rate details and policies before you book.
Government of Canada
Rewards Canada articles:
Latest info and direct links to airline, hotel and other provider COVID-19 pages
Canadian airlines & loyalty programs
Click in the company name to be taken to that providers website which will have the latest info and more details on how to change your flights
- No charge to cancel any Aeroplan award flight ticket if you cancel by October 16 (full refund of miles & taxes/fees)
- Effective July 20, 2020 they are waiving the current expiry provisions. You will now have 18 months to keep your account active – six months longer than before.
- Air Canada
- You can make a one-time change without a fee for all new or existing bookings made through September 30, 2020 for original travel between March 1, 2020 and September 30, 2021. If you booked directly with Air Canada and you need to cancel for any reason, you can convert your ticket to an Air Canada Travel Voucher that has no expiry date or to Aeroplan Miles with an additional 65% bonus miles.
- Air Canada Altitude
- All Altitude members have been provided with additional eUpgrade Credits, valid until May 31, 2021
- All Altitude status for 2020 will automatically be extended through to the end of 2021. Should a member reach a higher status before the end of this year, they will enjoy it upon qualification, and maintain it through 2021 as well.
- Since Altitude status is secure through 2021, if a member has already achieved status for next year, or does so by the end of 2020, they can gift it to a friend or family member.
- AIR MILES
- Flights for travel until July 31 can be changed or cancelled once with no fee
- All other travel can be changed without fees at this time
- Air North
- Flights booked up to July 31 can be changed or cancelled for a credit once with no fee - credits have a two year validity period
- Extending the travel period for all unused segments on 2019 Aurora Air Passes in light of the current COVID-19 pandemic. This extension gives passengers further flexibility in their travel plans. Extensions have been automatically applied to all remaining travel segments and come at no cost to Air Pass holders. This goodwill policy will replace the original travel period end-date of June 30, 2020, and allow passengers to travel as late as November 30, 2020.
- Air Transat
Air Transat has resumed limited flights
- If you were unable to travel due to the cancellation of your flight, you will receive a credit for future travel to be used within 24 months of your original travel dates.
- Flights booked before March 4 for travel until July 31 can be changed once with no fee - travel credit is valid for 12 months after
- Flights booked after March 4 until July 31 can be changed with no fee
- travel credit is valid for 12 months after
- Canadian North
Limited flight schedule being maintained although more routes are being added every week. See the schedule here.
- If your travel occurs before October 31, 2020 you may modify or cancel your reservation without a fee, regardless of fare type. For non-refundable fares, the refund will be issued as a travel credit voucher that will be valid for until December 31, 2021
Canadian North Aurora Rewards
- Aurora Concierge benefits member status period has been extended for an additional year. You will continue to be eligible for all applicable benefits until March 31, 2021
- Flair Airlines
Flair has posted their limited flight schedule for flights in Canada through to October 30. See that schedule here.
- Flair has cancelled all Atlantic Canada flights - those flights will be refunded.
- To receive a full refund, you have 24 hours from the time of making your reservation to cancel the booking, as long as your trip is more than 7 days from your date of booking. This can be accomplished through our website, by sending us a message or contacting our call centre at 1-(800)-441-7214. After 24 hours or if your trip is within 7 days of your booking, Flair does not refund flights – only changes are possible. No credit or refunds will be given for missed flights, no shows, cancellations made past cut-off times, or for fare differences after a reservation has been made.
- Should passengers choose not to travel in on a flight between March 1 and June 30, 2020 a one-time rebooking fee will be waived. Passengers with a known date of new travel may rebook and only differences in fare will apply. Changes or cancellations must be requested at least 24 hours prior to departure. Passengers with unknown travel dates will be eligible to receive a Future Travel Credit valid until June 30, 2021, to any destination Flair services*
- All new flight bookings made up to June 30 will be eligible for a one-time rebooking fee waiver. This extension will be valid for travel until May 31, 2021, to any destination Flair flies. Differences in fares will still apply.
- Pacific Coastal Airlines
Pacific Coastal has resumed limited fiights
- Change/cancellation fees for customers with reservations booked on or before May 2, 2020 for travel anytime are being waived. Changes or cancellations to a reservation must be made at least 72 hours prior to scheduled departure time. Standard fare terms and conditions will apply to changes made within 72 hours of scheduled departure time. For changes, customers may rebook their reservation for travel through April 30, 2021 inclusive without penalty (applicable fare difference may apply). For cancellations, customers flight value will be held as a travel credit that can be applied towards a future flight with Pacific Coastal Airlines (credit is name transferable and can be used to travel to any destination within our network). Travel credit will be available for travel completed within 24 months from the date of original purchase. We are not processing refunds to original form of payment at this time.
- Porter Airlines
Porter is planning to resume flights on October 7, 2020
- Change and cancellation fees are being waived for all flights
- Flights booked before or by October can be changed with no fee for travel within the next 12 months
- RBC Rewards
- To change or cancel travel booked via RBC Rewards please contact RBC Rewards Travel at 1-877-636-2870. Please note airlines and other travel providers are updating their COVID19 cancelation policies often. RBC Rewards will process your cancelation according to your travel providers policies.
- If you booked travel with RBC Rewards and are traveling up until May 31st, 2020, and would like to cancel, please email RBCRush@service.rbcrewards.com
- If you booked travel with RBC Rewards and are travelling on or after June 1st, 2020, and would like to cancel, please do not call or email at this time. In the coming days, we will provide additional guidance for travel booked after June1st, 2020. This will allow RBC to focus on immediate travellers that need to return home and cancellation requests for the next 30-45 days.
Sunwing is looking to resume flights in September
- Sunwing Airlines is reviewing and revising flight schedules as a result of the change in demand due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Should they advise you that your flight has been cancelled they will make every effort to offer you An alternate destination, where possible to travel on an alternate airline at no additional cost or provide you with a future travel credit in the value of what has been paid at the time of change.
Customers are eligible to receive a full cash refund or a future travel credit. Customers who opt for a travel credit will receive an additional $100 per person to be used towards a future booking
- Travel April 10th to April 30th: Customers may cancel and receive a future travel credit in the value of the original package price paid. This credit can be redeemed against future travel for departures up to and including June 20, 2022
- Any new flight purchases will be returned as a future travel credit in the form of a Swoop Credit, valid for 24 months.
- Travellers booked on flights between Canada and the United States, Mexico and Jamaica, scheduled to operate from March 14 - May 31, 2020, have been contacted directly by email with instructions on how to cancel for Swoop Credit. Canadians still in the United States, Mexico and Jamaica after Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. will be contacted regarding repatriation flights
- If you have an existing reservation with us and you need to make a change due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, you can add ModiFly to your reservation for free (including Swoop Getaways bookings) through Manage my Booking. ModiFly must be added to your booking more than 7 days before departure.
- Flights booked by September 30 can be changed or cancelled once with no fee - value of cancelled flights will be returned as a credit to your Travel Bank
- Flights booked before March 3 for travel until June 30 can be changed or cancelled once with no fee - value of cancelled flights will be returned as a credit to your Travel Bank
- Flight refunds will be returned as a future travel credit in the form of a Travel Bank, valid for 24 months. Vacation refunds will be returned as WestJet dollars, valid for 24 months. You can get full cash refunds for U.S. or U.K. flights that were cancelled by WestJet
- WestJet will be extending top-tier status for all current Platinum, Gold and Silver members through to December 31, 2021. (as of Sep 4)
- WestJet Rewards is extending the qualifying period for all members including Teal members to December 31, 2021.
(as of Sep 4)
Providing elite status extensions and upgrades for those who were set to lose status in March, April and May
- Unredeemed companion vouchers expiring between March 2020 and January 2021 have been extended to January 31, 2021.
Companion vouchers that were redeemed for travel between March 1, 2020 and January 31, 2021, where travel is cancelled, will be reinstated to your account and extended to January 31, 2021 (unless the original expiry date is later). Extensions will be processed within 14 days of cancellation.
- Alaska Airlines
- Flights booked February 27 - Dec 31 for travel until Nov 30, 2021 can be changed once with no fee
- ttravel must completed within one year from the original travel date
- Flights booked before February 26 for travel until Dec 31 can be changed once with no fee - travel must completed within one year of original travel date.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
- Current Mileage Plan status will be extended through December 31, 2021.
- Any elite-qualifying miles earned between January 1, 2020 and April 30, 2020 will be rolled over to 2021
All companion certificates set to expire in 2020 will be extended. You’ll now have until December 31, 2020 to purchase new travel through November 26, 2021.
- Members who enrolled in a status match challenge between December 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020 will have their trial status extended through the end of 2021.
- American Airlines
- Flights booked before March 1 for travel until May 31 can be changed once with no fee
- Flights booked after March 1 for travel until September 30, 2020 can be changed once with no fee
- Extending elite status for AAdvantage members until Jan. 31, 2022.
Reducing elite status qualifications for 2020.
- Delta Airlines
- Flights for travel until Sep 30, 20 can be changed once with no fee - travel must completed within 1 year
- Flights booked between March 1 and June 30 can be changed with no fee - travel must completed by September 30, 2022
- If your travel is eligible for a waiver, you can move your travel dates and even select a new destination. Your unused ticket will be applied toward your new flight, and in some instances a fare difference will apply. If the new fare is lower, you will receive an eCredit for the difference. If the new fare is higher, the difference will be collected. The fare difference will be waived for changes to existing travel between March - Sept 2020 if originally purchased before April 17th and traveling to the same destination before September 30, 2020.
- All Medallion Status for 2020 will be automatically extended for the 2021 Medallion Year.
- All Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) from 2020 are being rolled over to 2021 to qualify for 2022 Medallion Status.
- United Airlines
- Flights booked on or before March 2 for travel until December 31 can be changed by June 30 once with no fee - 24 month travel credit issued
- Flights booked between March 3 until June 30 for travel can be changed with no fee for the travel in the next 24 months
If you have current 2020 Premier status, it will be extended to January 31, 2022. At a minimum, you will enjoy the same published status next year that you have today, up to and including Premier 1K®.
- For the 2021 status year, United is reducing thresholds for Premier qualification by 50% for each status level, to make reaching an even higher tier easier. You'll still need a minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express®.
- waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
- waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.
- Aegean Airlines Miles+Bonus
- All elite status members will have their status extended by 6 months.
- Aer Lingus
Aer Lingus is continuing to operate their Toronto-Dublin flights albeit with a reduced schedule..
- Flights booked for travel until May 31 can be changed with no fee. Or you can receive a voucher for the full value of your flight (including taxes and charges), plus an extra 10%. The voucher is valid 5 years from date of issue
- AeroMexico Club Premier
- Extending status for elite members in their Club Premier programs. All members who achieved status via flying in 2019 will have their 2020 status extended by 12 months.
- Air France KLM
KLM has released their latest flight schedule and they will continue to operate 3 flights per week to Calgary and Toronto from March 29 to May 3. All other Canadian cities have been suspended.
- Flights booked for travel until May 31 can be cancelled or changed with no fee. The have options for rebooking or a travel voucher that must be used within 1 year
- All Flying Blue Elite members with a qualification period ending between March 2020 and February 2021 will receive status for another 12 months.
All Miles set to expire in 2020 will no expire until the end of 2020 for all Explorer members.
- You may rebook or cancel your reward ticket or Promo reward ticket free of charge If the travel date of your reward ticket or Promo reward ticket is before 30 June 2020. If your request for change or cancellation is made before 30 September 2020. If your booking was made before 16 April 2020
- Air New Zealand
Air New Zealand has suspended flights to Canada
- Tickets booked for travel until June 30, 2020 can be changed or cancelled for a travel voucher (12 month expiry) at no cost
Air New Zealand Airpoints
- All members who are Elite, Gold and Silver tier status as at 20 March 2020 will have their current tier extended for 12 months.
- Current Koru members as at 31 March 2020 will have their membership extended for 6 months.
Alitalia has suspended flights to Canada
- All passengers who purchased a ticket issued by 3 April for a flight departing from 23 February to 31 May can request the following by 31 May: To change your booking for another trip taking place by 31 December A refund with a voucher of equal value to the ticket purchased, valid for one year, to fly to any destination offered by Alitalia.
- Cancellation of miles due to a 24-month period of inactivity* has been put on hold until 30 April 2020. Members who would have normally had their miles cancelled in January, February, or March 2020 will have more time to use them.
- ANA All Nippon Airlines
ANA will continue flying to Vancouver with 3 flights per week from March 29 to April 24
- Tickets issued by March 19 for travel until April 30 can be changed or cancelled for a refund with no fee
ANA Mileage Club
- Extending current AMC Premium Member Status through 2021 (April 2021-March 2022)
Extending the expiration date of miles to March 31, 2021 for all mileage that was set to expire between March 31, 2020 and February 28, 2021.
- waiving reissue/refund penalties for all international routes (up to 2 times)
- Elite members will see thier status extended by 3-6 months dependent on when it is set to expire
- Austrian Airlines
Austrian has cancelled all flights until May 2 including their flights to Canada
- Tickets with a travel date up to 30 April 2021, which were or are booked up to 19 April 2020, can be suspended. This means you have until 31 August 2020 to rebook to a new travel date (start of the new journey up to 30 April 2021), or to another destination. If you rebook onto a flight by 31 December 2020, then you will receive an extra EUR 50 in ticket value.
Avianca has cancelled all international flights until April 30 including their flights to Canada
- For tickets with a flight date until April 30, 2020, you will have the option to change your itinerary without penalty.
For tickets with a flight date after April 30, 2020, you will have the option to change your itinerary without penalty for tickets purchased between March 4 and 31, 2020
- Lowered the qualification requirements for the 2020 period. All levels have been reduced by 50% in terms of qualifying miles, dollars, segments and minimum miles flown with Avianca.
- Pausing the expiration of miles that were scheduled to expire between April 1st and December 31st, 2020. This means that if your miles were scheduled to expire in the upcoming months, these will remain in your account until your next accrual transaction or until the end of 2020, whichever happens first
- British Airways
- Flights already booked before March 3 for travel until August 31 can be changed once with no fee. Vouchers are good to April 30, 2022
- Flights booked between March 3 and September 30 for travel until August 31, 2021 can be changed once with no fee. Vouchers are good to April 30, 2022
British Airways Executive Club
- BAEC has announced a 12 month status extension for those with Tier Point collection end dates of July 2020 – June 2021
level qualification / re-qualification has been reduced by 25%
- Brussels Airlines
Brussels Airlines has cancelled all flights from March 21 to April 19 including their flights to Montreal that were set to start on March 29
- Flights booked before March 12 for travel until April 30 can be changed once with no fee - travel must completed by December 31, 2020
- Cathay Pacific
Cathay Pacific is still flying to Canada with limited flights out of Vancouver and Toronto
- Flights booked before March 17 for travel until May 31 can be cancelled or changed with no fee - travel must completed by December 10, 2020
- Copa Airlines
Copa Airlines has stopped all their flights including those to Toronto. Toronto is slated to restart July 3.
- waiver conditions allow you to cancel your reservation and receive a travel voucher for the value of your ticket, plus an additional 20%. Also, ConnectMiles Members and PreferMembers get up to 10,000 bonus miles depending on status. You have until December 31, 2020 to user your travel certificate to pay for a new ticket when you’re ready to fly to any destination.
- Tickets purchased until June 30, 2020 with travel dates that originated and completed by December 31, 2020 can be changed and new travel must be completed by December 31, 2021
- Extension of the current PreferMember status for one additional year until February 28, 2022
- 70% reduction to the qualification criteria of all levels for this year
- All qualifying miles earned in 2020 will be recognized and added as an extra boost to the qualifying miles balance for the year 2021
- Extending the validity of the Connect Global and Connect Regional Upgrade Certificates awarded to PreferMembers Platinum and Presidential for an additional year through February 28, 2022
- Emirates Airlines
Emirates Airlines has resumed flying to Toronto
- You can choose to keep your ticket and they’ll extend its validity to 24 months from the date of your original booking. The fare amount you paid for your original booking will be accepted for any flight within the same /region at any time with no fees during this period. This is valid for all tickets booked until July 31 for travel until November 30. Learn more here.
- You can request a refund or travel voucher if your flight hasn’t been cancelled. However, if your request is not related to the current COVID-19 situation, the refund or voucher amount will be processed according to the fare rules available on your ticket. A change fee and/or a difference in fare may also apply if you choose to change the date or destination of your booking.-
Skywards Silver, Gold or Platinum member, can retain membership status with just 80% of the travel requirements for that particular tier. Elite members will also enjoy 20% more Tier Miles on trips until 30 June.
- Flights can be cancelled for a Travel voucher. Flights using the voucher must be booked by November 30 for travel until October 31, 2021
If you’re an Etihad Guest member, they’ll reward you with up to 5,000 bonus miles and up to $400 too .
Eligible members will receive bonus Tier Miles every month for three months.
- Hainan Airlines / Hong Kong Airlines Fortune Wings
- Elite status expiring by March 31 will be extended by 14 months.
- Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles
- Elite status members will have their status extended through February 2022
- Elite qualifications (in both flight miles and segments) will be reduced by 50% to qualify for 2021
- Japan Airlines
- Flights booked for travel until September 30 can be changed as many times as you like with no fee
JAL Mileage Bank
- FLY ON Elite Status is being extended to 2021 (March 31, 2022 expiry) if you have status for 2020 that was achieved from January to December 2019.
- KLM .
KLM continues to fly to Toronto. Vancouver and Calgary flights are set to resume in July.
- Flights booked for travel until May 31 can be cancelled or changed with no fee. The have options for rebooking or a travel voucher that must be used within 1 year
- If the airline cancelled your flight on or after 15 May 2020, you can request a refund in the form of a voucher or cash. If it was done before then, or if you cancelled the flight yourself, you can only opt for a voucher. If you pay with a voucher before 31 October 2020, you could profit from a bonus up to 15%.
- LOT Polish Airlines
LOT has cancelled all flights until March 28 including their flights to Toronto
- For travel until March 28 (if booked before March 13) postpone your trips within 3 weeks period after March 29 at no extra cost for new travel dates between March 29 and April 19, 2020. To postpone your trips for later dates than April 19, 2020 you can choose dates from April 20, 2020 to May 31, 2020 or October 17, 2020 to December 13, 2020 or get a refund in form of a voucher or get a full refund for your tickets
- Individual bookings made before March 31st, with flights scheduled to happen between March 12 and April 24, 2020. You can now change your travel date for free to flights by December 31, 2020
Lufthansa is continuing flights to Canada with 3x weekly service to Montreal until April 19 (Source Routesonline)
-For tickets booked by March 31 with travel until May 31. If you hold a ticket for a cancelled or an existing Lufthansa Group flight, you can keep the ticket without having to commit to a new flight date right away. Existing bookings will initially be cancelled, but the ticket and ticket value will remain unchanged and can be extended to a new departure date up to and including 31 December 2020. You can also rebook to another destination. The new flight must be booked until 31 August 2020. In addition we offer you for every rebooked ticket a discount of 50€ on the ticket price. Of course rebooking fees will still not be charged, regardless of which fare was booked. Should the rebooked fare be more expensive due to a change of destination (e.g. rebooking from short-haul to long-haul), change of class of travel or similar, an additional payment may be necessary despite the discount.
- Korean Air SKYPASS
- Korean Air will extend the expiration date of mileage expiring at the end of 2020 by one year, as passenger travel has been greatly affected by reduced routes and travel restrictions due to COVID-19.
Qantas has suspended all international flights including those to Vancouver until May 31
- If you are due to travel on a Qantas flight before 31 July 2020 and wish to change your plans before 30 April 2020, you can get a flight credit and retain the full value of your booking. Credit is valid until December 31, 2020
Qantas Frequent Flyer
- Elite status members in the Qantas Frequent Flyer program will get 12 month extensions on their status
- Qatar Airways
Qatar Airways is still flying to Canada with limited flights out of Montreal
- You can re-book your ticket to alternative dates or destinations or opt to receive a voucher for future travel, equivalent to the value of your ticket plus an additional 10% value, excluding statutory taxes. Alternatively, you can opt to exchange your ticket for Qatar Airways Privilege Club Qmiles, or get a refund. This policy applies to all tickets issued anytime until 31 December 2020, for travel on or before the same date.
- Check out Qatar's new booking policy - it's one of the best in the market
Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- Extending or giving back tier status, ending before 31 January 2021 with all membership benefits for 12 month
- Qcredits now last two years, as long as you retain your tier.
- SAS EuroBonus
- Elite status members will receive a 12 month extension of their status
- Singapore Airlines
- Customers who purchased a SIA or SilkAir ticket on or before 15 March 2020, for travel until 30 June 2020, may retain the full value of the unused portion of their tickets as flight credits. These can be used to book their new trip, which must be completed by 30 June 2021. We will also waive no-show and rebooking fees, allowing customers more peace of mind to when making new travel plans. In addition to retaining the full cash value of the unused portion of each ticket, we are adding Bonus Flight Credits to make your travel dollar extend even further.
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
Renewing KrisFlyer Elite Silver and Gold membership for one membership year for tier renewal cycle from March 2020 through to February 2021.
Extending Elite Gold Rewards that will be expiring between July and December 2020 to be valid till 31 March 2021.
Extending KrisFlyer miles that will be expiring between April and December 2020 by six months.
Providing renewal support for tier renewal cycle from March 2021 to February 2022 [NEW]
- Offering PPS Club members additional ways to earn Elite miles on the ground (available till 15 October 2020) [NEW]
- SWISS Airlines
SWISS has suspended all international flights including those to Canada until April 19
- If you hold a ticket for a cancelled or an existing Lufthansa Group flight, you can keep the ticket without having to commit to a new flight date right away. Existing bookings will initially be cancelled, but the ticket and ticket value will remain unchanged and can be extended to a new departure date up to and including 31 April 2021. You can also rebook to another destination. The new flight must be booked until 31 August 2020. In addition we offer you for every rebooked ticket a discount of 50€ on the ticket price for travel until 31 December 2020. Of course rebooking fees will still not be charged, regardless of which fare was booked. Should the rebooked fare be more expensive due to a change of destination (e.g. rebooking from short-haul to long-haul), change of class of travel or similar, an additional payment may be necessary despite the discount.
- Turkish Airlines
Turkish Airlines is now flying from Toronto and Montreal
- You can make unlimited changes to flights booked between March 21 and August 31. Flights can be changed at no fee or changed to an open ticket that can be used for future travel until December 31, 2021
- Virgin Atlantic
- Flights booked before March 11 for travel until May 31 can be cancelled or changed with no fee - travel must completed by April 30, 2021
- Flights booked between March 12 and March 31 for travel until November 30 can be changed with no fee - travel must completed by April 30, 2021
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- Extending status of all Silver and Gold Flying Club members by 6 months
- Companion, upgrade or Clubhouse vouchers are being extended by 6 months
Click in the company name to be taken to that providers website which will have the latest info and more details on how to change or cancle your stays
- Accor Hotels
- Guests that booked fully refundable rates may cancel or modify their reservations without penalties on all.accor.com (provided that the exact rate policy of your original booking will apply to your revised booking).
- Guest who planned to stay in one of our hotels prior to and inclusive of September 30th, 2020 may modify their reservation for a later date without any modification fees subject to availability and applicable rates and conditions) or request a credit voucher for the full amount of the booking value for use at a future date at the same hotel.
- Best Western
- For stays in U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean they may be cancelled at any time, as long as cancellation occurs least 24 hours before arrival, and the reservation is cancelled on or before June 30, 2020.
- effective July 28 face coverings are required in hotel indoor public areas in the United States and Canada.
Best Western Rewards
- Members globally will maintain their current status through January 31, 2022 without needing to fulfill the necessary qualifications. In addition, BWR® members who suffered a downgrade at the end of 2019, as a result of restricted travel, will be leveled-up to their previous tier and will maintain that status through January 31, 2022 without needing the necessary qualification.
- Coast Hotels
- Will accept cancellation of both group and individual bookings, for stays between until September 30, 2020 that were booked prior to March 12. In cases where a booking has been prepaid, or a deposit has been accepted for a group booking, the deposit will be held as a credit for one calendar year – to be applied to a future booking or function. The calendar year associated with credit will align with the cancellation date.
- Paused points expiration until June 30, 2020
- Choice Hotels
- If you booked a future stay with Choice Hotels before July 10, the policies that were in place at the time of booking will continue to apply to your reservation.
- When booking direct with Choice Hotels on or after July 10 for arrival dates before September 30, you will be able to modify or cancel the reservation within 24 hours of the arrival date with no modification fee or cancellation fee. However, reservation changes are subject to availability and rate differences. Reservations with pre-paid rates, such as our Advance Purchase Rate, are non-cancellable, non-changeable and non-refundable.
- If you book direct with Choice Hotels on or after July 10 for an arrival date on or after October 1, the hotel’s individual cancellation policy that’s in place at the time of booking will apply.
- Reducing the number of nights members are required to stay in 2020 to qualify for elite status in 2021.
- Upgrades and Extensions for Gold and Platinum Members: Upgrading the status of current Gold and Platinum elite members, effective June 1 – Dec. 31, 2020. Gold members will be upgraded to Platinum and Platinum members to Diamond.
- Extensions and Bonus Points for Diamond Members: Extending the status of current Diamond members through Dec. 31, 2021, and offering a 10% bonus – in addition to their existing 50% bonus – on points earned through Dec. 31, 2020.
- Paused points expiration until Dec 31, 2020
- Hilton Hotels
- For reservations made prior to March 12, 2020 you may now change or cancel any future reservation, without penalty, as long as you do so at least 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date, but not later than August 31, 2020.
- Any individual reservations booked on and between March 12 and August 31, 2020 for any future arrival date can be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
- Face coverings are required in all indoor public areas of all Hilton hotels throughout the U.S.
- 2019 Status Extension. All members whose 2019 status was scheduled to be downgraded on March 31, 2020—whether it’s Diamond, Gold or Silver—will automatically receive an extension through March 31, 2021.
2020 Status Extension. We are extending your 2020 member status through March 31, 2022. This means you will continue to enjoy all the Diamond, Gold or Silver benefits you have access to today for the next 24 months.
- Pausing the expiration of all points scheduled to expire between now and Dec 31, 2020
- Hyatt Hotels
- With some very limited exceptions, existing reservations booked before July 1, 2020, for arrivals through July 31, 2021, can be cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations.
- With some very limited exceptions, reservations booked on July 1, 2020 or beyond – for arrival dates through July 31, 2021 – can be cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival
World of Hyatt
- Suspending the forfeiture of points through Decembe 31, 2020
- Postponing the introduction of Off-peak and Peak point redemption (originally planned for March 22, 2020) until 2021
- Postponing annual hotel award category changes (originally planned for March 22, 2020) until 2021, with the exception of five hotels still shifting award categories on March 22, 2020.
- More time to use earned awards: All unused Free Night, Suite Upgrade or Club Lounge Access awards with expiration dates between March 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 will be extended to December 31, 2021. This includes existing awards and awards that may be earned throughout this year with a 2020 expiration date. The award extension will be generated by World of Hyatt – members do not need to take action. Awards that expired between March 1 and March 31, 2020 will be replaced with new awards on April 20, 2020. All other qualifying, unused awards will be updated by the 20th day of the month in which the award would have originally expired.
- More time for elite members to enjoy their status and benefits: Status and benefits will be extended for all existing elite members without having to re-qualify. This means that whatever your status was as of March 31, 2020 – whether Discoverist, Explorist or Globalist – it will be automatically updated to reflect a February 28, 2022 expiration date. All elite tier extensions should be reflected in members’ accounts no later than April 15, 2020.
- Langham Hotels
- Will provide a full refund (and waive all related fees) on cancellations made at least 24 hours prior to arrival date for all travellers for stays up to and including 18 December, 2020..
- IHG (InterContinental Hotels Group)
- Bookings made up to April 6 for stays until August 31, 2020 can be changed or cancelled for free
- Face coverings are required in hotel indoor public areas in the United States and Canada.
IHG Rewards Club
- All existing elite members will have their status extended to January 2022
- Reducing the Elite membership criteria required (nights or points) this year by 25% or more
- For all members with points due to expire from 1 April through to the end of the year, we are extending the expiration date of points to 31 December 2020. We’ll be contacting members with more information.
- Marriott Hotels
- For guests with existing reservations for any future arrival date, the policies that were in place at the time of reservation, or as previously communicated, will continue to be honored.
- For guests making new reservations on or after July 6 for arrival dates through September 30, we will allow the reservation to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before the scheduled arrival date.* Reservations with pre-paid rates will be subject to the rate offer rules communicated at the time of reservation. Please note that changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
For guests making new reservations for arrival dates on or after October 1, individual hotel cancellation policies in place at the time of reservation will apply
- Face coverings are required in hotel indoor public areas in the United States and Canada
- Status you earned in 2019 will be extended to February 2022
- Suspending points expiry until February 2021
Suite Night Awards expiring December 31, 2020 will not expire until December 31, 2021
Free Night Awards with expiration from March 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020 will be extended to January 31, 2021. These are the ones from credit cards, annual benefits, travel packages, etc.
- Melia Hotels
- For individual bookings made from March 2 to May 31, 2020. Guests can cancel the booking up to 24 hours before the check-in date without any cancellation fee or penalty. Check specific conditions for each booking as some hotels may require earlier cancellations to avoid cancellation fees and penalties.
For individual bookings made before March 2, 2020 for arrivals until May 31, 2020, we offer 100% flexibility to postpone your reservation up to 24 hours before arrival: you may chose a later date until December 31, 2021 for which the reserved hotel offers the same terms and conditions or for which you agree to pay a possible difference in rate without any management fee. Arrivals from June 1, 2020 will be subject to the terms and conditions accepted by the client when making the respective booking
Melia Hotels Melia Rewards
- Extending current MeliáRewards membership tier for one year for Platinum, Gold and Silver members whose tier review is scheduled for between March 1, 2020 (from February 1, 2020 for members from Greater China) and December 31, 2020. The membership tier will remain unchanged even for those members who do not meet the minimum stays, nights or points requirement to remain in their tier.
- Nordic Choice Club
- Extending status for elite members in their program. Status will be extended to May 2021
- Preferred Hotel Group
- No published Coronavirus policy
Preferred Hotel Group iPrefer
- Points that were scheduled to expire in 2020 have been extended through June 30, 2021
All Elite members will keep their current status through June 30, 2022, including members who were scheduled to downgrade in 2020 or 2021
- Radisson Hotels
- Free modifications or free cancellations for reservations made prior to April 1 for stays until June 30, 2020
-Free modifications or free cancellations up to 24 hours priort for reservations made between April 1 and June 30, 2020 for any future arrival date.
- Point expiration suspension: We are extending our pause on the expiration of Radisson Rewards points. Any points that were set to expire between March 1, 2020 and March 30, 2021 will now expire on March 31, 2021, if the account remains inactive.
Elite status extension: We have extended your 2020 status – whether it’s Silver, Gold or Platinum - through February 2022, for those whose status would have expired in February 2021. This means you will continue to enjoy all the great Silver, Gold or Platinum member benefits you have access to today.
Elite earning roll over: All eligible nights and stays earned in 2020 will roll over to 2021 and be applied toward maintaining or increasing your Elite status in 2022.
- Sandman Hotels
- Pre-paid, non-refundable reservations up until May 31, 2020 will have the cancellation policy waived and full refunds provided.
Pre-paid, non-refundable reservations beyond June 1, 2020 that are cancelled will have a full credit for a future booking until December 31, 2021.
- Wyndham Hotels
- Guests traveling with new or existing direct bookings for stays in any of our hotels through June 30, 2020 will have their cancellation or change penalties waived if the request is received at least 24 hours (or less if permitted by the hotel’s policy) prior to arrival.
- For new or existing direct bookings with arrivals after June 30, 2020, all of our properties are required to accommodate non-cancellable rate reservation changes if the request is received at least 48 hours prior to arrival and the same number of room nights or more are booked for a future stay.
- U.S. and Canada hotels require that guests and all other individuals entering the hotel wear a mask or face covering when in indoor public areas (including the lobby, elevators, guestroom hallways, meeting and event spaces, restaurant, bar, and fitness center) and additionally as required by applicable law.
- Suspending points expiry until December 31, 2020
Extending elite status of members through to December 2021
- easier to reach new member levels in 2020 by lowering the qualifying night requirements. From January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020, stay 3 qualifying nights to unlock GOLD level, 9 qualifying nights for PLATINUM, or 24 qualifying nights for DIAMOND. For more information and to see whether this offer can help you reach the next member level, click here.
Other important links
- Air Canada Lounges
-The Maple Leaf lounge at Toronto Pearson Domestic near Gate D has reopened
All other Maple Leaf Lounges are closed until further notice. This includes the Air Canada Cafe and Signature Suites
- Maple Leaf Club memberships will be extended by 6 months
- American Express Centurion Lounges
- All lounges remain closed at this time (last update July 31)
- Escape Lounges
- The Escape Lounge in Cincinnati is now open. The rest remain closed.
Click the link above to see which lounges globally are closed or have adjusted operating hours
- Plaza Premium Lounges
- The Vancouver International Departures and Level 3, Domestic Departures, Pier C, near Gate C29 are now open with limited hours
- All other Lounges in Canada are temporarily closed (last update July 31)
- Swissport Lounges
- All Lounges in Canada are temporarily closed. (last update July 31)
Retail Loyalty Programs
- Starbucks Rewards
- Delayed the expiration of all Stars scheduled to expire up to June 1, 2020. No further updates have been provided.
- If you need to change a reservation, you can do so without incurring any change fees.
- To travel with complete flexibility, choose “Pay Later” when making a reservation on Avis.com, and you may cancel or modify your reservation any time with no additional fees incurred.
- extending Preferred Plus and above status for another year through January 15, 2022, regardless of your 2020 rental activity.
- If you need to change a reservation, you can do so without incurring any change fees.
- To travel with complete flexibility, choose “Pay Later” when making a reservation on Avis.com, and you may cancel or modify your reservation any time with no additional fees incurred.
Waiving the Young Renter fee for all renters ages 18-24
- National Emerald Club
- Current Executive and Executive Elite members with tier set to expire on February 28, 2021 will receive a one-year extension and keep their status through February 28, 2022.
Qualifying rentals and rental days will roll over. If you achieve elite status in 2020, any paid rentals or paid rental days you have beyond your tier qualification will roll over to 2021 to give you a head start on earning toward elite status for 2022.
Customers with pre-paid rentals booked directly with Thrifty prior to March 13th can cancel their reservation for no fee and transfer their balance for use toward a future booking to be used within 24 months
- VIA Rail
- Cancellation policy to include all travel through November 1, 2020, to allow you to cancel your reservation at any time prior to departure and receive a full refund in addition to not incurring any service charges, regardless of when you purchased your ticket.
VIA Rail Preference
- Exisiting status members will have status extended to Apr 30, 2021
Adjusted our eligibility criteria downwards
- Amtrak is waiving all change and cancellation fees for reservations made by August 31, 2020.
Amtrak Guest Rewards
- Pausing the expiration of points through September 25, 2020
- Members with tier status will have current status extended through to February 28, 2022.
Travel Resumption News, Articles & Information
As the world slowly opens up you will need to keep up to date with travel information, restrictions, quarantines rules and more should you be planning to travel. Here you'll find details for the rules from various provinces and countries as to how they will be handling incoming travellers. Remember however should you travel outside of Canda you may be subject to a quarantine or self isolation upon your return home.
The Canadian Tourism Roundtable website Time-To-Travel.ca shows you where you can travel to within Canada and also abroad.
The IATA has an excellent website with the most up to date information on country reopening and entry requirements. Click here to view it!
- Opening to tourists on July 7. Tourists must do a PCR test with a maximum validity of four days (96 hours) ahead of the date of departure. They will be required to show proof of not being infected with the virus on arrival at Dubai airports. If they cannot provide proof, they will undergo a PCR test at the airport. All arrivals will be subject to thermal screenings. If a traveler is suspected to have COVID-19 symptoms, Dubai airports have the right to re-test to ensure the tourist is free of the virus. It is mandatory for tourists who test positive for COVID-19 to register their details on the COVID-19 DXB app and isolate themselves at an institutional facility provided by the government for 14 days at their own expense.
- Greece will begin allowing travellers from around the world into their country as of June 15. Compulsory testing and quarantine will be limited only to travelers, irrespective of nationality, arriving from airports of affected areas with high risk of transmission of the Covid-19 infection, as assessed by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA). This list currently includes any airports in Ontario and Quebec. The list is constantly updated and travelers should check before traveling (https://www.easa.europa.eu/SD-2020-01/Airports). All other travelers will enter restriction-free and may be subject to random tests upon arrival.
- Iceland has adjusted their opening policy to only allow EU/EEA, EFTA or UK nationals into the country as of June 15 (or July 1)
- Iceland is planning to open up to visitors as of June 15. Icelandair is only flying between Toronto and Reykjavik this summer and flights are available as of the 15th. If you choose to fly to Iceland you will have to either quarantine for 14 days, take a COVID-19 test upon arrival or present a recent negative test result. Visitors will also have to install a tracing app on their phone.
- South Africa
- South Africa has stated that they are not going to open up the country to international travellers until February 2021.
- As of May 15 travellers flying to Spain will have to quarantine for 14 days. This is in effect until May 24 but can be extended. Sources also cite that this is only for select travellers (ie Spanish residents returning home) who are allowed to entry the country and that Spain will not open its borders up until July for most people.
- United Kingdom
- If you’re a resident or visitor travelling to the UK on or after 8 June, you mus provide your journey and contact details and not leave the place you’re staying for the first 14 days you’re in the UK except in very limited situations (known as ‘self-isolating’)
- U.S. - Alaska
- As of June 5 travelers will be allowed to enter Alaska from out of state without being asked to self-quarantine for two weeks if they are instead tested for COVID-19. The test must occur within 72 hours prior to arrival into Alaska - may be tough if you are doing an Alaska Highway road trip! You will then be required to take a second test within 7-14 days after arrival (HT Travel Codex)
Talk to us!
Do you have any other news or links we should be adding to this page? Tell us in the comments section below!
Rewards Canada can be found on the following social media channels: