As one of, if not the largest loyalty program in Canada, AIR MILES garners a lot of attention. That's even the case here with Rewards Canada readers as a very common question we receive is what is the best AIR MILES credit card to get since there are quite a few to choose from? That's why we've created this page to narrow down those options for you. It still doesn't come down to one card however but the choices are definitely thinned out. What it will come down to is what you are trying to achieve with AIR MILES. Are you looking to solely earn as many AIR MILES Reward Miles as possible? We list that here. Are you looking to earn miles but also want to receive benefits when you travel? Done, you'll want the most well rounded AIR MILES card. Are you looking to earn AIR MILES but don't want to pay an annual fee? That's listed here. Want to enjoy lots of perks when you travel? Go for the ultra premium card. Need an AIR MILES card for your business? You'll find that here.
Quick jump to each of the categories on this page:
The most well rounded AIR MILES credit card in Canada is the BMO AIR MILES World Elite Mastercard. It has a good limited time welcome bonus that includes paying no annual fee in the first year. The card provides an annual discount on AIR MILES Reward flights anywhere in the world, has airport lounge access membership and offers free global Wi-Fi that even works on WestJet flights. On top of all this it has a pretty decent insurance coverage package. Like we said this the most well rounded AIR MILES card in Canada.
Complimentary membership in Mastercard Travel Pass provided by DragonPass
Provides automatic AIR MILES Onyx Elite Status
World Elite Mastercard benefits like free global Wi-Fi from Boingo, benefits from Ritual and more
BMO AIR MILES®† World Elite®* MasterCard®*
Annual Fee: $120 Primary Card $50 Additional Card
Interest Rate: Purchases 20.99% Cash Advances 23.99% (21.99% for Quebec residents)
Welcome offer: Get 2,000 AIR MILES Bonus Miles and we’ll waive the $120 annual fee for the first year*.
· Get 3x the Miles for every $12 spent at participating AIR MILES Reward Partners* and 2x the Miles for every $12 spent at any eligible grocery store*
· Earn 1 reward mile for every $12 in credit card purchases, everywhere you spend*
· Get valuable benefits and offers for digital everyday services from a variety of on-demand apps and subscription services
· Use your card at Costco
· Extended Warranty
· Access over 1 million Wi-Fi hotspots around the world - all at no added cost, and no added fees or roaming charges*
· Complimentary membership in Mastercard Travel Pass provided by DragonPass.*
· Use less Miles with our exclusive 25% discount on one worldwide AIR MILES flight redemption during the calendar year.*
· BMO AIR MILES World Elite Travel and Medical Protection*
· BMO Concierge Service*
· Unlock Mastercard Travel Rewards cashback offers when you travel and shop outside of Canada
*Terms and conditions apply
BMO is not responsible for maintaining the content on this site. Please click on the Apply now link for the most up to date information
If you are solely about earning as many AIR MILES Reward Miles as possible this is the card you want. The American Express AIR MILES Platinum Credit Card will earn you the most AIR MILES hands down. The card earns an unprecedented one AIR MILES Reward Miles for every $5 spent on food and drinks as well as gas and transit. That is grocery stores, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, gas stations, ridesharing, commuter transit and more. What makes it unrpecedented is that this increased earn rate it is not limited to strictly a select few AIR MILES partners like the BMO card above. It is all merchants that fall into those categories. After that you earn 1 Reward Miles for every $10 spent everywhere else. The BMO card is 1 for $12 and the Reserve card below is 1 for $15. So you can see this is the best card for earning AIR MILES. It also has some decent benefits that come along with those great earn rates namely a once per year 25% discount on a Dream Miles flight or package vacation booking (up to 750 mile maximum discount)
Earn 1 Mile for every $5 in Card purchases, up to $30,000 annually, on eligible food & drinks, (such as eligible restaurants, coffee shops and stand-alone grocery stores), and eligible gas & transit (such as local commuter transportation including ridesharing services and taxi) in Canada.
Earn 1 Mile for every $10 in Card purchases everywhere else.
Annual Travel Redemption Benefit equivalent to 25% of the net number of Miles used (up to a maximum of 750 Bonus Miles)
Other perks like Amex Offers and Amex Invites
American Express® AIR MILES* Platinum Credit Card
Card Type: Credit
Annual Fee: $120 Additional Card Fee: $50
Annual interest rate 20.99% on purchases and 21.99% on funds advances; Missed payment applicable rates, 23.99% and/or 26.99%
• New American Express® AIR MILES®* Platinum Credit Card Cardmembers, earn a Welcome Bonus of 2,000 AIR MILES®* Bonus Miles when you charge a total of $1,500 in purchases to your Card within your first three months of Cardmembership. That’s enough to redeem for $200 towards your purchases with AIR MILES®* Cash
• Earn 1 Mile for every $5 in Card purchases, up to $30,000 annually, on eligible food & drinks, (such as eligible restaurants, coffee shops and stand-alone grocery stores), and eligible gas & transit (such as local commuter transportation including ridesharing services and taxi) in Canada.
• Earn 1 Mile for every $10 in Card purchases everywhere else.
• American Express® AIR MILES®* Platinum Credit Card Cardmembers can take advantage of the Annual Travel Redemption Benefit. Once per calendar year, when an eligible Cardmember uses Dream Miles with the AIR MILES Reward Program to book their first single flight or package vacation through airmiles.ca or vacations.airmiles.ca, they can get Bonus Miles equivalent to 25% of the net number of Miles used (up to a maximum of 750 Bonus Miles).
• Shop at participating AIR MILES®* Partners®* across Canada with your Card and show your AIR MILES®* Card, and you can earn Miles twice
• American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link. Conditions apply
For some people getting a credit card is less about the rewards and more about the benefits. That's typically where Ultra Premium cards come into play however with AIR MLES their best Ultra Premium card provides great benefits AND great earn rates. So that's where this card comes in, not only will the American Express AIR MILES Reserve Card provide you with great AIR MILES Reward Miles earn rates but it will give you a lot of great benefits with the program and when you travel. It provides automatic Onyx Elite Status in the program, has an annual companion benefit where by when you book at least two tickets on one reservation you get up to 1,700 miles of the companion ticket covered and for travelling it has Priorty Pass airport lounge access membership with four free lounge visits per year.
Automatic AIR MILES Onyx Status
The best AIR MILES earn rates in the market
Priority Pass Airport Lounge access membership + 4 complimentary lounge access passes per year
Annual companion benefit that provides up to 1,700 AIR MILES Reward Miles towards to a companion ticket
• Your ticket to the World of Onyx™ - Receive automatic Onyx™ status
The best no annual fee AIR MILES card in Canada is the BMO AIR MIES Mastercard. It is your entry level card to get you started with the program or for some it is the secondary card to their American Express AIR MILES card to only use when they can't use their Amex, such as for Costco purchases. It has a decent welcome bonus that tends to range from 500 to 1,000 miles and earn rates of 3 Miles per $25 spent at select AIR MILES sponsors and 1 Miles per $25 on everything else.
It has no annual fee!
Earns 3 miles per $25 spent at select AIR MILES sponsors
Has a decent welcome bonus for a no fee card
BMO AIR MILES®† MasterCard®*
Welcome offer: Get 800 AIR MILES Bonus Miles!* That’s enough for $80 towards purchases with AIR MILES Cash.*
- and there’s No annual fee
- Get a 0.99% introductory interest rate on Balance Transfers for 9 months, 2% fee applies to balance amounts transferred.*
- Get 3x the Miles for every $25 spent at participating AIR MILES Partners and 2x the Miles for every $25 spent at any eligible grocery store*.
- Get 1 Mile for every $25 spent everywhere else*
- Earn more reward miles when you use your card at Shell, National Car Rental and Alamo Rent A Car
- Extended Warranty
- Purchase Protection
- Interest Rate: Purchases: 20.99% Cash Advances 22.99% (21.99% for Quebec residents)
Finally here is a list of all the cards in Canada earn AIR MILES Rewards MilesAmerican Express® AIR MILES* Platinum Credit Card
There you have it! The best AIR MILES cards in Canada!